Sunday 14 October 2012

Eleventh Risk - Get social


Date: Sunday, October 14th, 2012
Risk: Counting the number of people I interact with for one day, and then increasing the number of people I talk to by three people for two days.
What’s to Gain? Making more connections, feeling more outgoing
What’s at Stake? Feeling disappointment if I don’t make the goal
Execution: The first day that I counted my interactions was a very social day for me, and I talked to 15 people. The second day I reached my goal and talked to 18 people. The third day, I talked to 7 people, though my goal was 21.
Analysis: The first day of this risk, I didn’t alter my social patterns at all and ended up talking to more people than I thought I would have. On the second day, I also quite easily talked to many people, but by the end of the day I hadn’t reached my quota so I decided to go out on the town. It was quite easy and exhilarating to talk to people that I wouldn’t normally have. In my mind I kept saying “Only __ more people to go!” and I was excited to see if I could reach the goal. On the third day however, I didn’t have anything planned and didn’t leave my house for most of the day. Finally in the evening, I went for a walk with my roommate to try to boost up my numbers, but only found three additional people to talk to. I think 21 was an overwhelming number for me, and I didn’t want to talk to people for just any reason (like asking for directions when I didn’t really need them, for example). Instead, I wanted to actually interact meaningfully with more people per day.

Although I didn’t reach my quota on the third day, I’ve realized something - This wasn’t a risk. This was a challenge. This was a desire to become more open to talking to people. For me risk is putting something at stake – doing something you’re not 100% comfortable with in order to gain something that you value. I didn’t really put anything at risk because I was 100% comfortable talking to everyone that I talked to! I’d like to do another risk involving interacting with more people, but I want there to be more at stake. I’m sure I’ll come up with something myself, but let me know if you have any ideas! I’d love to hear suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment