Friday 5 October 2012

Ninth Risk - Great Expectations 2 (Rage)


Date: Friday, October 5th, 2012

**(This is the second in a two-part entry about a week of failed expectations)

Risk: Yell in Rage (On-the-spot risk)
Purpose of Risk: Honour my rage in order to nurture myself
Execution: In a vocal lesson, I was asked to yell in rage at my teacher. It sounds easy, right? I found it not to be at all. My task was to simply act – get angry and yell as if I was really, honestly taking out all of my rage. And I couldn’t. What I did do was yell very meekly, and even as it was happening  it occurred to me that it sounded more like I was singing than really letting my anger out. In fact, said “I can’t” so many times that I’m sure I wore out the phrase. In the end, I started beating up a wall, which satisfied my teacher but left me a little disappointed. Why was I so afraid to take the risk of expressing my anger – even when I was asked to in a loving environment?
Analysis: This risk is different than all of the risks I have written about so far in this blog – it was unplanned and it required me to express myself in a totally uncontrolled fashion, without putting on a character (which is common in performers), and by showing my real emotion. And I was scared. It was a risk I couldn’t take. Unlike other performance experiences where performance anxiety forced me to cry and run offstage, I remained tearless. There was nowhere to run. 
The risk was simple -  another human asking me to really show myself, and yet, I felt paralyzed by this request. Why? Well, I’m realizing that what risk is about is being vulnerable. Risks are about taking the fear you experience and converting into the sacred energy that is behind you. Risks are about using fear as an energy source.
So why couldn’t I do that this time? – I honestly don’t know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment