Wednesday 26 September 2012

Sixth Risk - Posture You Say?


Date: Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Risk: Being aware of and correcting my posture for one day
Purpose of Risk: To increase my overall awareness of posture and to see how difficult it is to maintain fabulous posture all day
Execution: I decided to start this risk at about 11:30am this morning while I was on the subway coming up to York. At first I didn’t find it difficult at all, but while I was on the bus I found that it was extremely taxing for me to keep my head on straight, literally! I realize that I often tilt my head to one side, and keeping myself from doing that has proven difficult. Then around 5pm, while I was talking to my roommate about this project, I realized that I had totally forgotten about my risk of the day. I straightened my posture and continue to as I write this.
Analysis: My biggest bodily realization is that I tilt my head quite a bit, the extent of which I wasn’t fully aware. But I’m also realizing how easily posture slips my mind. Even as I’m writing about posture, I start to slouch, tense my shoulders and tilt my head to one side. Also, one of the reasons I think I keep forgetting about it is that on some level I feel like it’s not as ‘worthy’ of a risk to be taking and paying attention to as another might be. I keep thinking that if my risk was more straightforward, and demanded a huge burst of energy all at once, it would be a ‘better’ risk than a risk of awareness. I think I’m putting risks that require outward bravado, rather than inward awareness on a higher pedestal. Is it that I care more about showing the world that I have courage rather than showing myself personally? Or do I just prefer the excitement of doing something big quickly rather than doing something small consistently?

No comments:

Post a Comment