Monday 24 September 2012

Third Risk - Silence


Date: Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Risk: Allow the person I just met on the bus to fill most/all silences in our conversation.
Purpose of Risk: I find myself rushing to fill silences in conversation, usually out of fear that I may appear boring and also because I have genuine curiousity about other people. I want to practice receiving and allowing other people to fill conversation.
Execution: As I was talking to the person I had just met on the bus, I felt extremely uncomfortable when there was silence. I had a huge urge to fill the space by asking a question or telling a story, but I stopped myself and allowed him to speak first. Whenever there was a silence that I was not filling, I looked away and fidgeted! I think the next step would be to be able to look very calmly at the person or away without feeling unease.
Analysis: I was surprised at how uneasy allowing for space in a conversation made me feel! Actually, when I sing in public I generally have the same problem – constant fidgeting and looking away, or laughing. I guess that it makes me uneasy when I feel that all eyes are on me. Maybe I feel uneasy when I perceive that I am expected to be entertaining?

No comments:

Post a Comment